menu

Guardian of the Frankopan symbols

Tower in Bribir

"It was once a fortress surrounded by double walls with a long and narrow courtyard, a residential and administrative building and two towers (round and square). Today all that remains of that building is the square tower, known as “Turan”, on which the year 1302 is engraved along with fragments of the fortifications."

Distance from your location


At the beginning of the 13th century the castle came into the possession of the Counts of Krk, the subsequent Frankopans. To this day Turan has survived in its original ground plan dimension, and the interior of the tower preserves the historical phase of the conversion of the tower in the prison and the very narrow prison cells. Also belonging to this phase are small square windows framed with stone drawings on the eastern façade. The original loopholes have been preserved on all the façades. The other parts of the castle were demolished in the 19th century so that in its place a school and a municipal building could be built. Turan also holds one more valuable memory of the Frankopans. Namely, in the tower there is an exhibited display with a presentation and reconstruction of the coats of arms, mediaeval weapons, seals and flags of the Frankopan Counts of Krk and the Zrinskis.